[K12OSN] *INEXPENSIVE* mobo/cpu options?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Nov 17 00:34:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 14:27, Steve Hargadon wrote:

> I have come to LTSP with a background of selling used computers for 16
> years.  Our primary line is the Dell Optiplex.  We like them since
> they have lifetime tech support from Dell and are extremely
> well-built, using the same components over long periods of time.

I think you could drive a truck over the old GX1's without breaking
them - they do need a flash upgrade to boot via PXE.

> Since I haven't yet tackled the sound issue, I'd be interested in
> sending someone a test unit who is familiar with sound to see how the
> Optiplexes do in that regard.  I'm personally working on an Optiplex
> P1-166 as my workstation for my home-office, and I use an Optiplex
> small form factor 866 when I go out and do demonstrations.

If you have the crystal sound chipset onboard, try something like:
 SMODULE_01  = "cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1"
in your lts.conf.

Now, does anyone know how to find the real screen resolution on
these things?  I have one that won't go above 1024x768 and another
that will do 1600x1280, both with GX1 labels and both with ATI rage
pro video on board, apparently with different amounts of RAM.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com