[K12OSN] Backing up a server...best methods

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Wed Nov 17 14:52:50 UTC 2004

I know this subject has been out there before, but now it's my turn.  I
had my Samba/LDAP server go down (not totally, but I couldn't get myself
out of the mess...so....)  I thought I had made good backups with Mondo,
but when I went to use it....it wouldn't work.  So....I'm wondering about
some easy ways to do an entire bare metal backup of my server.  I have
plenty of space on an NFS share with a full gigabit link between both
servers.  My Samba/LDAP server does have 4 drives that are RAID'ed in
various manners....(ie: RAID 0 for Swap....RAID 1 for /home....etc)  How
can I back this up?  I'm open to anything from simple "tar" and "dd" to
using another program...to somehow using Mondo correctly.....  In Mondo I
created ISO's and put them on the NFS share....I burned disc one and
loaded it in the server, but no go.....it told me my CD was "eccentric"
and to use the floppies....and the floppies were'nt recognized....(the
device not recognized...but it works fine)....?????  At this point I'm
rebuilding and then I'll put the home dirs back, but planning for "next
time"

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School