[K12OSN] Backing up a server...best methods

Huck dhuckaby at paasda.org
Wed Nov 17 17:17:23 UTC 2004

Hrm... Backuppc looks even more juicy than Les led on...
Looks like it makes backing up an entire network of workstations/servers
fairly easy!
(once everything is set-up for it)

What intrigues me more, is I have a lab of 22 machines(all exact same
image) for teaching.
Currently I build one machine install everything and configure how the
teacher needs/likes it...
then I make an image with Ghost and then push the image onto all of the
remaining 21 machines..all at once.
So about 20 minutes later the lab is complete and ready to go...

Backuppc does not appear to do this sort of 'multicasting'. Or am I wrong?
(is this the 'bare metal' type of restore you were addressing below?)

But I must say for all of the individual teacher's office and
administration PC's this is gunna be HEAVEN.
Instead of a ghost image for each machine*not done*(or no backup unless
they put files on the server where they SHOULD),
with pooling and compression it looks like less than 40 gigs of space
will be taken up for ALL of the windows pc backups =)
Looks like a couple days worth of work to get it working properly, but
after that heaven!

--Huck