[K12OSN] Backing up a server...best methods

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 17 22:41:47 UTC 2004

Hello,

Since we are talking about backups, I thought I'd make a comment and
ask a question.

Comment:  I found Mondo to be excellent for straight-forward, need-to-
restore-after-massive-catastrophe-off-of-CDs piece of software.
Essentially the bare-bones situation. Ever couple of weeks or so
(well, more like months actually) I burn off everything to CDs and
stash away for the inevitable. Works perfectly.

I also use it for NFS backups to a RH9 machine with a large hard
drive on it.  I use this for more routine /home backups on a weekly
or less basis.  It creates .iso images of the data on the networked
drive.  Here is where my question comes into play:  I've had massive
problems trying to restore from the NFS. Since the backups are
automatic, I don't have boot-disks to use. And I can't get Mondo to
point the restore command to those ISOs. It keeps crashing and not
being able to find it.  Is there a way to deal with this? I
personally prefer Mondo's ease in setup but if you cannot restore off
the NFS what's the point? I'll just use Mondo for CD backup and try
BackupPC for NFS stuff. But having 2 different programs would sort of
suck...

Thanks,
Joseph