[K12OSN] Backing up a server...best methods

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Nov 18 14:13:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 07:36, Frederik Dannemare wrote:

> Having installed rdiff-backup on the backup server and on the machines
> to be backed up ('backup clients'),

Backuppc generally doesn't require anything to be installed on
the clients other than setting up ssh keys if you run over
ssh.

> something like this (command
> executed on the backup server) should do the trick in order to get a
> complete backup:
> rdiff-backup \
>         --exclude /mnt \
>         --exclude /media \
>         --exclude /cdrom \
>         --exclude /floppy \
>         --exclude /proc \
>         --exclude /sys \
>         --exclude /tmp \
>         <backup_client>::/ /usr/local/backup/<backup_client>

This would be controlled by a config file.  I prefer to use
the --one-file-system options to tar or rsync and specifically
include every partition to copy, but that's a matter of taste.

> Run it as a script via cron every night and you will automatically have
> daily incremental backups that are easy to restore. E.g. to restore a
> user's kde config as it was two days ago, simply do:
> rdiff-backup --force --restore-as-of 2D \
>         /usr/local/backup/homer/home/frederik/.kde/share/config \
>         <backup_client>::/home/frederik/.kde/share/config

Backuppc gives you a web interface to browse the backups and
makes the incrementals 'look' like fulls.  You can either grab
a copy directly through the browser (multiple selections can
be downloaded as a zip or tar archive) or restore back where
it came from.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com