[K12OSN] My Laptop

Liam Marshall lsrpm at mts.net
Thu Nov 18 15:53:45 UTC 2004

I am the teacher/tech person at our school.  I have the lab set up with
the core1 version of LTSP.  Things have more or less stabalized.  Things
are working at an acceptable level, except for sound on the thin clients
which I have yet to get working, but I can live with that.  There are a
few other minor annoyances which I can also live with.

I use my laptop at my desk connected to a projector, to model/show the
lessons.  In order to show them exactly how it should look I connect to
the ltsp by hitting F12 and booting off the network, effectively making
my laptop a temporary thin client.

The problem I have is that taking student work home to mark is
troublesome.  What I do now is boot my laptop into windows at the end of
the day.  I have the server also running SAMBA and have a share
established for the student home directories.  I connect to this share
and run a batch file on it that copies all the data files from their
home directories onto my laptop's hard drive.  then I take it home and
mark it.

I am now comfortable/confident enough with Linux that I would like to
set my laptop up to be a single boot of say Fedora Core 2 or 3.
Everything I do at home or school I can do in Linux.

But I want to be able to continue using the laptop to model the lessons
to the students through the projector.  This means I need to be able to
connect to the server's linux drive(s)/shares, and I need to be able to
dump the student's work to my laptop hard drive so I can take it home to
mark.

How can I connect to the server's shares while my laptop is booted up
through a stand-alone Linux distro?  And access my laptop hard drive,
and my laptop burner?

Thanks for your time and effort in response to this querry.