[K12OSN] Linux cut off

Rob Owens robowens at myway.com
Fri Nov 19 17:06:20 UTC 2004

I think one of the best points made was that this is not ITT or some vocational school.  A vocational school is responsible for preparing you for a job which you might take in a matter of months and as such, it would make sense for them to teach the "industry standard" software.  But for any student who plans on being a student for the next few years, it really doesn't matter what brand software is used.  The "industry standard" might be different by the time the student gets a job, and even if the brand is the same a few years later, it most likely will have gone through multiple new versions requiring the student to at least partially relearn it anyway.

Maybe the business teachers in question need to be reminded of the fact that their students will not be getting jobs tomorrow, but likely will be heading for 4 years of college once they're done with highschool.  And if they won't budge in their beliefs, then get Windows terminal services in there alongside K12LTSP, so the students and faculty can at least be exposed to some Linux.

-Rob