[K12OSN] Linux cut off

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Nov 19 17:45:07 UTC 2004

Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:

> What we should be focusing on is the *concept* of word processing.  Same
> with using a spreadsheet--any spreadsheet, or any presentation
> software.  I don't want kids only being able to use Microsoft products;
> they're no good to me in my shop, and I won't--and can't--hire them.
> Several educators have found that, when children are exposed to multiple
> implementations of the same concept, they get that concept a whole lot
> better.  I have found that to be true of myself even to this day.

This is the most relevant argument for why we should have a mix of
technologies in K-12.  It is the point that we have been making for for
the better part of a year anytime we speak with our Department of Education.

http://www.hosef.org/projects/eschool/ilearning/presentationoo.sxi

I do, however, address the job preparation role of schools.  One of my
'objections' slides is that everyone uses Microsoft, so it would be
irresponsible to use anything but in the schools.  I overcome this
objection by stating

It is irresponsible and I daresay criminal to restrict the technical
exposure of our children to just one Operating System.  If in fact we
intend to see our curricula lead to job creation, then we need to be
certain that our children have the skills to work for the likes of
Oracle, Novell, HP, IBM, Dell, BEA, Sun, etc.  On their first day on the
job at some of these companies, they may just be given a Linux Desktop.

--scott