[K12OSN] Linux cut off

Access Systems accessys at smart.net
Fri Nov 19 17:58:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, KJ wrote:

> Hey Terrell,
> Not touching a Win32 app, that is fantastic!!!

my desktop and laptop have been 100% Linux for about 5 years now.

> Do you have any pearls of wisdom for those of us who endeavor to get to
> that spot in life?

go cold turkey and figure it out. desperation breeds many great solutions.
the first few weeks/months can be "Trying" but it can work.  Now I would
not really want anything that is on a windoze machine because I have it
all on my current Linux machine(s)

Bob

> Thank you!
> KJ
>
> Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:
>
> > Permission is certainly granted.  Go for it!
> >
> > BTW, I have, for the last year, been able to go completely to
> > GNU/Linux on my desktop, without ever touching a single Win32 app on
> > said desktop.  This is in a total and complete dyed-in-the-wool
> > Microsoft shop.  It is possible, and it's no longer hard.
> >
> > --TP
> >
> > Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> >
> >> Terrell,
> >>   This is one of the best set of analogies and yet the simplest single
> >> argument I have seen yet to exercise the point of OSS.  If you don't
> >> mind I would like your permission to print this and keep to present to
> >> the narrow-minded individuals I run into in the future.
> >>   I have been quietly attempting to gather data to help prove this
> >> point in the schools I support.  Everyone always tells me they need
> >> certain software to teach.  Instead this year I am asking all of the
> >> teachers to put together an outline of the goals they hope to achieve
> >> when teaching students technology.  I have instructed them to not give
> >> me stuff like to learn Word, or Accelerated Reader.  But to give me
> >> stuff like to learn to type, to learn to use a word processor, and to
> >> also break down the range of skills they hope to teach in those
> >> categories such as how to bold, underline, create tables, etc.  Once
> >> they give me that list not knowing the real reason why, I will find
> >> software that helps them teach all of their stated goals and use their
> >> own documentation to prove my point.  At least that is my plan :-)
> >>
> >> Thanks,

CONFIGURE YOUR E-MAIL TO SEND TEXT ONLY, see http://expita.com/nomime.html

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys at smartnospam.net