[K12OSN] Scripters...I need your help! *please?*

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Nov 19 19:02:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 11:17, Rasmus Ory Nielsen wrote:

> > PS...where's the best place to get some tutorials or references so I can
> > get better at scripting like this?
>
> Take a look at http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

Note that those are 'advanced' scripting concepts.  Normally I
use shell scripts to automate things I'd otherwise type
repetitively and the main thing that needs to be done
programming-wise is some text substitutions on the commands
which the shell does nicely or some i/o redirection to
files or pipes.   If it gets much more complicated than
that, you might as well use perl in the first place.

You really should spend some time with the bash man page
or look for a tutorial so you understand the way the
shell parses commands even if you don't do anything
complicated.  There are a lot of handy capabilities that
can save time every day.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com