[K12OSN] Software to do X

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Fri Nov 19 21:39:36 UTC 2004

Bill Kendrick just made a good point on a different thread regarding
open source alternatives.  I am in a spot at school that staff members
are asking for the "evidence" of the claims about great free software to
do their tasks.  Since places like Sourceforge are overwhelming, I'll
start this thread to ask about some needs I need to fill soon.

I think it's fair to offer web-based alternatives, as long as the lack
of sound in flash is taken into account.

So, what do you suggest for:

1) Print Shop alternative.  (This one is for my wife, not for at the
school -- she's comfortable finding graphics online now, and doesn't
need the included clipart like she did years ago, but does something
like Scribus meet the needs of making little flyers, etc?)

2) "Math-Type" -- I guess this is a program that creates tests for math
teachers.  Are there any test-creation programs available that work
well?  I'm talking printed-out tests, not online or computer based
tests.  (To me, just using OpenOffice seemed to fit the bill, but
apparently the teachers are used to some specialty program designed for
such a thing)

3) Inspiration.  I have never used this, but apparently it is some sort
of "thought process flowchart" thing.  This particular package is
heralded in our HS Lab (currently a mac lab) and ironically, they don't
have enough licenses for the number of students they have this year
(classsize increase due to budget cuts)

4) Interfacing with TI calculators.  Is this possible?  Apparently they
have been able to copy/paste TI calculator images that were piped into
their macs.  Is there a TI emulator that could be screen captured?

5) Streaming Media.  Real media, quicktime, wmv, mpg, whatever the
format -- is this possible at all?  (Especially via a browser)  How does
sound work?  Does it?

6) Science specific things?  (Biology, earth sciences, physics stuff,
chemistry stuff, astronomy, etc)

7) Graphic editing (MS Level) -- something that our MS art class can use
that is more complex than MS Paint, but not quite The Gimp?

8) Math software, specifically that are commonly used with classes
instead of neat idea that doesn't lend itself to common use...  (This
need is at all levels in our district, from K-12)

9) CAD software, legitimate CAD software.  THis isn't an issue right
now, but are there any classes out there being taught with OS cadware?

10) Nutrition software (odd I know, but it's one of the pieces of
software my opposition is heralding as a reason OS won't work)

11) Edutainment for elementary age.  Bill Kendrick has provided 2 lion's
shares of software in this regard, but I'm curious about others too.
(Thanks Bill!)

I guess that's it for now.  If there are software packages commonly used
in your district that don't match anything above, please pipe in!

-Shawn