[K12OSN] Software to do X

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Sat Nov 20 04:05:33 UTC 2004

Shawn Powers wrote:
> So, what do you suggest for:
>
> 1) Print Shop alternative.  (This one is for my wife, not for at the
> school -- she's comfortable finding graphics online now, and doesn't
> need the included clipart like she did years ago, but does something
> like Scribus meet the needs of making little flyers, etc?)

Scribus or Gimp for power, Open Office for the rest.

> 2) "Math-Type" -- I guess this is a program that creates tests for math
> teachers.  Are there any test-creation programs available that work
> well?  I'm talking printed-out tests, not online or computer based
> tests.  (To me, just using OpenOffice seemed to fit the bill, but
> apparently the teachers are used to some specialty program designed for
> such a thing)

keduca-editor, keduca, flashkards

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

> 4) Interfacing with TI calculators.  Is this possible?  Apparently they
> have been able to copy/paste TI calculator images that were piped into
> their macs.  Is there a TI emulator that could be screen captured?

apt-cache search ti|grep calculator yields

tidev-modules-source - Sources for drivers for Texas Instruments
calculators link cables

tilp - TI calculator <-> PC communication program for X

libticalcs4 - provides functions to communicate with TI calculators
libticalcs4-dev - provides functions to communicate with TI calculators
[development files]
libtifiles0 - Texas Instruments calculators file formats library
libtifiles0-dev - Texas Instruments calculators file formats library
[development files]

> 5) Streaming Media.  Real media, quicktime, wmv, mpg, whatever the
> format -- is this possible at all?  (Especially via a browser)  How does
> sound work?  Does it?

All the above.  Sound generally works very well.

> 6) Science specific things?  (Biology, earth sciences, physics stuff,
> chemistry stuff, astronomy, etc)

kstars, celestia, kalzium, rasmol, viewmol, gperiodic, chemtool, paw,
openuniverse

> 7) Graphic editing (MS Level) -- something that our MS art class can use
> that is more complex than MS Paint, but not quite The Gimp?

kpaint, kolourpaint

> 8) Math software, specifically that are commonly used with classes
> instead of neat idea that doesn't lend itself to common use...  (This
> need is at all levels in our district, from K-12)

kchart, kgeo, kpercentage, kbruch, kmplot, kig, kformula, kchart,
tuxmath, and for designing circuits, Geda

> 9) CAD software, legitimate CAD software.  THis isn't an issue right
> now, but are there any classes out there being taught with OS cadware?

Qcad,

> 10) Nutrition software (odd I know, but it's one of the pieces of
> software my opposition is heralding as a reason OS won't work)
>
> 11) Edutainment for elementary age.  Bill Kendrick has provided 2 lion's
> shares of software in this regard, but I'm curious about others too.
> (Thanks Bill!)

Gcompris

> I guess that's it for now.  If there are software packages commonly used
> in your district that don't match anything above, please pipe in!

Web-based - Marco Polo, Benchmark Tracker.

> -Shawn

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford