[K12OSN] Software to do X

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Sun Nov 21 05:29:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 04:39:36PM -0500, Shawn Powers wrote:
> Bill Kendrick just made a good point on a different thread regarding
> open source alternatives.  I am in a spot at school that staff members
> are asking for the "evidence" of the claims about great free software to
> do their tasks.  Since places like Sourceforge are overwhelming, I'll
> start this thread to ask about some needs I need to fill soon.
>
> I think it's fair to offer web-based alternatives, as long as the lack
> of sound in flash is taken into account.

Big table of Win-Linux equivalent-ish applications here:
http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml

(Big, BIG honkin' table.  enjoy!)

> So, what do you suggest for:
>
> 3) Inspiration.  I have never used this, but apparently it is some sort
> of "thought process flowchart" thing.  This particular package is
> heralded in our HS Lab (currently a mac lab) and ironically, they don't
> have enough licenses for the number of students they have this year
> (classsize increase due to budget cuts)

"Freemind"  not in the table so I'm mentioning it here.
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FreeMind_on_Linux

"
FreeMind - free mind mapping software

FreeMind is a premier free mind-mapping software written in Java. The
recent development has hopefully turned it into high productivity tool.
We are proud that the operation and navigation of FreeMind is faster
than that of Mind Manager because of one-click "fold / unfold" and
"follow link" operations. "

--
Linux/Open Source.  Your base belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"

~
~
~
~