[K12OSN] Software to do X

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Nov 21 16:53:00 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 03:31, Gavin Chester wrote:

> I've been checking out that link you gave, Jeff.  Other than it being a
> little dated (only some inconsequential aspects would have changed in
> since last update) it is a beauty.  I'll pass it on to my M$Windows
> friends who always ask "what would I use in linux instead of xxxx".

One difference in the free and commercial packages is that often
the commercial ones will come with a ton of samples, examples,
templates, icons, themes, etc. where the free ones tend to be bare
bones. Often the free program is just as capable or more so but it
feels harder to use at first because you can't pick a theme and have a
lot of the work already done.  Some of these might make good class
projects or contests with the results donated back to become part
of the package or accumulated somewhere for others to use.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com