[K12OSN] Adding Thin Client boot option to a Windows box

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Nov 21 19:02:07 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 12:45, R. Scott Belford wrote:

> We use grub to tri-boot one of our labs to Windows, Debian, or the LTSP.
>   It works like a champ, and we set grub to wait on the user to make a
> choice vs. booting to the default after x seconds.  I grabbed the
> specific images at rom-o-matic, but since they sit in the boot
> directory, I don't see why the mega etherboot image wouldn't work just
> as well.  I'll try it next Saturday if no one else gets the chance.

Somewhere I got the impression that grub has etherboot capability built
in and should be able to load a kernel directly without booting another
intermediate loader, but the project seems to be in transition now and
I'm having trouble finding relevant documentation.

> > It should be possible to make a menu choice for network boot on
> > an existing hard disk install, or if you can make the config file
> > load from the network a change on the server could set the default
> > boot option for a whole classroom or lab.
>
> I'd like to explore loading the config file over the network.

I did find this http://orgs.man.ac.uk/documentation/grub/grub_6.html
that says it is tag 150 in the dhcp options.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com