[K12OSN] Refining the script....more help? *please?*

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Mon Nov 22 06:03:56 UTC 2004

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Monday, November 22, 2004 at 12:01 AM +0000 wrote:
>I can't duplicate that, but it might be a version difference in the cp
>command.  The -f option (which you have) should force the copy without
>asking.  However, the reason it is asking in the first place is that
>RedHat/fedora has this in /root/.bashrc:
>alias cp='cp -i'
>so when you execute 'cp' as root, it sets the -i option, like it or
>not.  In the version I'm using, with both -i and -f the one later on the
>command line wins. You can avoid the issue by executing /bin/cp instead
>of just cp or get rid of the alias and type the -i only when you want
>it).

+++++++++++
Les...you ROCK!  /bin/cp did it!  I'm really starting to play with this
script....I now have a zip file of the current contents being written and
then copied to a corresponding copy of the home dir on an NFS
share....(and then deleting the zip file)....etc.... This is fun!
+++++++++++

>And, of course, I'll take this opportunity to remind you that if you
>had backuppc running, you would already have copies of everything that
>you could restore with a couple of clicks on a web page...

++++++++++
AMEN....keep after us on this one Les  :-)  I plan to give it a try in a
week or so....gotta get throught the holiday and a big conference.  I
actually loaded it on an Ubuntu laptop, but haven't had the chance to
figure out what to do from there.  Do you have or can you point me to a
good How-To on installing it on a Fedora (or even a K12LTSP) box?  I'm
running K12LTSP 4.1 with FC2.  I need the total how-to....including any
other stuff I need to install such as rsync or whatever.  Or can I do
simple NFS backups?  How does it deal with RAID setups?  I've got 4 drives
with varying RAID 1 and 0 paritions and devices.  Will it preserve all
that?  I simply want to restore with a few clicks should I ever need
disaster recovery.  I wish it could be as easy as backing up and SME
server  :-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School