[K12OSN] Re: Software to do X

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Nov 22 13:45:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 05:56, Frank Samuelson wrote:

> > 5) Streaming Media.  Real media, quicktime, wmv, mpg, whatever the
> > format -- is this possible at all?  (Especially via a browser)  How does
> > sound work?  Does it?
>
> mplayer and mplayerplug-in (to make it work in your browser).
> These are not included in most distn's, but can
> be grabbed as rpms for any distn.  Mplayer plays almost
> _everything_.  I've never seen a media player on any platform
> out of the box come close to what mplayer can do.

Videolan client (vlc) is also very good, works cross-platform and is
capable of acting as a streaming multicast server.  I think with
a little work getting it to run as a local app on the clients you
would be able to stream videos to a whole classroom or building
using little bandwidth or server resources and mac/windows clients
could watch too.  It (and mplayer, xine, etc.) can be found at
http://rpm.livna.org/.  Because of all the libraries you have to
keep in sync, you really want to let yum or apt-get install these
packages.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com