[K12OSN] Beta 2 - sound (was Beta 2 - apt/acrobat/sound)

Gustav Kramer gj.kramer at planet.nl
Tue Nov 23 08:06:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 23:08, Jesse McDonnell wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:43:11 +0100
> Gustav Kramer <gj.kramer at planet.nl> wrote:
>
> [big snip]
>
> > Sound:
> >
> > I have no luck at all with nasd.  How would I check to see if the daemon
> > is running on the server.
> >
> > Using esd I have some success.  Rhythmbox works after setting up the
> > preference for gstreamer, but Realplayer 10 gives me nothing but a
> > dialogue box telling me that it "Can not open the audio device.  Another
> > application may be using it"  In the past there was a preference setting
> > that allowed you to choose esd rather than oss but that choice no longer
> > seems to exist.  Flash is also silent.  FWIW the video parts of both
> > Realplayer and Flash seen to work fine.
> >
> Gustav,
>
> Did you check the permissions on /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. I've seen the
> Realplayer error you are getting when the user didn't have rw access to
> /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. As root, chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer  - should
> get things working.
>
> The removal of esd and oss as output options occurred when Realplayer
> released Realplayer 10. Apparently, compiling the latest and greatest
> realplayer with esd support is problematic. So, if you need realplayer
> on the clients you'll need to use an earlier version.

<snip>

Thanks for the tips Jesse, unfortunately still no joy. A summary of
where I stand with respect to sound:

        real    rhythmbox   flash   gcompris
nasd     no        no        no        no
esd      no        yes       no        yes
server   yes       yes       yes       yes

These were all as a non-root user, before and after the suggested
changes to the permissions on /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer

FWIW under GStreamer Preferences on a client I can only define esd as a
sink while on the server I can define alsa, esd and oss  as sinks but
not artsd.

As you pointed out I can stick with esd, remove the packaged version of
Realplayer and revert to an older one but that still doesn't help with
Flash.

As far as nasd goes, the client reports that it loads but I have no
indication on the server that it is loaded, how woud I check?  Is there
any advantage to using nasd vice esd?

TIA for any comments or suggestions,

- gustav