[K12OSN] server spec

John Baillie jbaillie at stmarys-school.org
Tue Nov 23 19:42:27 UTC 2004

First off, thanks for the tips on setting up the teachers with a small
foot print.

I had hoped to put one of our Proliant 6000s to use for the 2003
terminal server and put the money saved in to the new k12ltsp server.

The 6000s are not going to scale. If I bring up one client at a time I
can get about 15 concurrent users. But get 3 logging on at the same time
and it bogs down with the % CPU utilization at 100.

I was going to purchase a Dell (school would prefer 3 year warranty) for
the K12 but now I'm going to have to build two servers one k12 and one
win 2003. I have never built a server and the choices are overwhelming
me a bit. I will be hashing over my notes with the LUG this evening.
Basically I need to keep the cost of each server at under 3K. I'm
thinking a two disc scsi system, 4 GB RAM processor tbd.

BTW. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far with fc3 / 4.2,  using it as I
type. Some quirks but all in all looking good.

John