[K12OSN] Where to start?

Brad Johnson bjohnson at independence.k12.ia.us
Wed Nov 24 02:55:58 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I'll give you some background and then ask just one question!  Here we go:
 I am the technology director for a school district with 5 schools, mixed
environment currently consisting of Macs and PCs.  Macs are currently
authenticating to OS X ldap server; Pcs are authenticating to Win2k
Domain.  My 2k Domain Controllers are pretty old, and I'd really like to
retire them altogether, rather than paying the enormous cost to upgrade
the servers and software, but I do have some Windows apps that are not
available as Linux/OS X apps.  I thought I would try out k12ltsp, and what
I'd really like to do is be able to authenticate to the Mac OS X Ldap
server, but that is not working.  Is this possible?  If not, could I get
away with simply creating some generic logins on the k12ltsp server, and
then simply browsing the network and having students authenticate that
way?  Any thoughts, ideas, pointers?

Thanks so much,

Brad Johnson
Technology Director