[K12OSN] Scanning from Client

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Nov 24 15:54:41 UTC 2004

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> Thanks a ton.  I will give this a try this evening.  Now I just need to
> find out what MToolsFM is :-)

:)  MToolsFM is a little application that allows transferring files
to/from remote floppies (or usb sticks in this case)

I also remembered some tweaking in /etc/mtools.conf that was required.
This line was required in my /etc/mtools.conf file:

drive u: file="$DISPLAY" remote

and then my ~/.mtoolsfm file looks like this:

DRIVES="u"
LEFTDRIVE="u"
RIGHTDRIVE=" "

(I had to figure out the mtools stuff too, after you mentioned you
didnt' know what MToolsFM was, I remembered I was in the same dillema!)

> As far as the scanner goes I will try to setup my server as a
> workstation and see if I can at least get local scanner support on that
> machine.

This does work.  It is done in my classrooms.  It works great in a
classroom that contains the server and a few clients, because the (1)
server is used as a client anyway, and that's just the only computer you
can use if you want to scan.  It works out really well.

> Kooka or should it be ready to rock out of the box?

Still clueless here, I haven't sent up any local apps before...

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director