[K12OSN] Hard Drive Upgrade Quandry

Liam Marshall lsrpm at mts.net
Fri Nov 26 14:53:20 UTC 2004

we are skating on the edge of being too low on hard drive space.  With
careful management of the ltsp environment I think we could make do but
there are several reasons I don't want to.

1.   First, in most cases I am a believer in more is better, hardware
wise.  What we have for hard drive space is 27 GB total.

2.   Our current hard drives are composed of old, slow (5400 rpm, cache
?) scsi harddrives 1 9GB IBM and 1 18GB Seagate.  They are both hooked
in through a decent but non raid adaptec controller with no upgrade path
for it

3.   With our current setup we have zero redundancy.  I have /home and
/opt as well as the swap partition on the 18GB seagate and /root and the
rest on the 9GB IBM.  If either goes down I am well and truly screwed.
and deservedly so with no redundancy. But I wanted to prove the LTSP
idea to the school and did so by creating the server out of mostly used
parts.  Money will forever be the ban of school computer labs!

Anyway, long story short.  The board is impressed enough to spring loose
some money for hard drive upgrade, maybe over the Christmas holiday.

I was considering the following in an effort to save some money.  Let me
know what you think of this setup.  Remember that the current setup up I
am using is old slow scsi drives and that it is working sufficiently
well performance wise

I would like to get a Promise IDE raid controller, either the 4 or 6
channel version, haven't decided yet.  I was going to put on it 4 - 80
GB EIDE hard drives with 7200 rpm and 8MB cache each.  I would use these
in a raid 0+1 or raid 1+0 configuration.  It is my understanding that
this will give me the best of both mirroring for redundancy, and
parity/spanning for performance.

If I am right in my understanding of raid levels 4 - 80GB drives in such
a configuration will give me 160GB of storage space, with the other
160GB of the drives being used in a mirrored capacity right?

Opinions?  Comments?

I am leaning with EIDE solution because of price vis a vis scsi and
because sata really isn't available in my area yet and is still fairly
expensive/unsupported?

Opinions?  Comments?