[K12OSN] Hard Drive Upgrade Quandry

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Nov 26 19:39:34 UTC 2004

Agreed on the Promise controller issue.  I haven't tried out Promise
PATA controllers, but I have tried out Promise SATA RAID controllers,
and I despise them.  The problem is that, like Calvin wrote, Promise is
one of these companies that wants to pretend that it's protecting its
so-called "intellectual property" and refuses to release the programming
specs for its hardware to the Free Software community.  Stay away from
anything with Promise's name on it.

Sadly, the same must apply to HighPoint's RAID controllers, when they're
in RAID mode.  In JBOD mode, though, combined with the 2.6 kernel,
they're fine.

One other option might be this, if the 3ware controllers are indeed out
of your budget:  The 2.6 kernel does support SATA now.  I know this from
experience using it; it even works with the nForce2 motherboard
chipset's SATA ports.  You could do Linux-kernel software RAID 1 with a
couple of 160GB SATA disks, which I have running right now for a
customer of mine.  The OS is sitting on a PATA drive (80GB), and /home
lives on the Linux-kernel SATA RAID.  The performance seems to be just
fine.  The one downer is that, with Red Hat / Fedora distros, I find
Linux-kernel RAID a pain to set up--very possible, I assure you, but
tedious, which is why I started putting only /home on the RAID 1.  You
can always restore the OS from your backups, which you should be making
anyway.  You are doing this, right?  If not, then I'd stress to the
school board the need for regular backups, regardless of which operating
system you're using!

--TP