[K12OSN] Pretty-chooser

Jennifer Waters watersjenusa2002 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 18:18:21 UTC 2004

I am having problems with getting pretty-chooser to
work.  I had to reimage my file server.  Now I am
trying to get my application servers to work with my
file server so the thin clients can use any of the
four servers.  I used the directions that Eric had on
the list serve and I am still unable to see the
application servers come up on the thin clients.

Here is what Eric sent:
Here's a real-quick XDM chooser HOWTO. This is how I
set up Riverdale
High School's new servers, it may or may not be the
best way to do it but it is known to work ;-)

This assumes that your servers default to KDE. I have
not tried this under GNOME or straight XDM.

1) Pick out one server to be your main server. Point
DHCP to this one server.

2) On the main server, export the /home directory
read/write. If your IP range
   is 192.168.0.0/24, for example, you would add the
following line to
   /etc/exports

                home
192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw)

   and then run the following command:

                exportfs -a

3) Configure the other servers to mount /home from the
main server. If your main server is 192.168.0.254, for
example, you would add the
following line to the "/etc/fstab" file on all of the
other LTSP servers:

192.168.0.254:/home      /home  nfs
defaults,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0

  and then run the following command:

                mount /home/

4) The default "chooser" is pretty ugly, so we're
going to spice it up a little.  start by creating the
file /etc/X11/xdm/pretty-chooser with the following
lines:

                #!/bin/sh
                /usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot -solid
skyblue4
                exec /etc/X11/xdm/chooser $*

   make this file executable with the following
command:

                chmod +x /etc/X11/xdm/pretty-chooser

   Next append the following lines to
/etc/X11/xdm/Xresources

            Chooser*geometry:
500x200+300+225
            Chooser*allowShellResize:      false
            Chooser*ShapeStyle:              Oval
            Chooser*viewport.forceBars:  true
            Chooser*label.label:
Application Servers
            Chooser*label.font:
*-*-bold-i-normal-*-240-*
            Chooser*list.font:
-misc-fixed-medium-r-

semicondensed--13-120-75-75 -c-60-iso8859-1
            Chooser*Command.font:
*-*-bold-r-normal-*-180-*
            Chooser*Form.background:    gray80
            Chooser*label.foreground:      white
            Chooser*label.background:    midnightblue
            Chooser*Command.background:  gray80
            Chooser*internalBorderColor: black
            Chooser*Command.font:
-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*
                              -12-*
            Chooser*viewport.useRight:   false
            Chooser*list.columnSpacning: 25
            Chooser*list.defaultColumns: 1
            Chooser*list.verticalList:   true

5) Limit the list in the chooser to just the servers
you want listed.  Edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess,
commenting out all of the existing lines, and
then appending the following lines:

            *       CHOOSER server1 server2 server3
sever4
            *       CHOOSER BROADCAST   #any indirect
host can get a
                                               chooser
            *           # any host can get a login
window

be sure to replace "server1", "server2", etc with the
real names of the
servers.

6) In /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc (this is the KDE specific
part), uncomment the Resources= and Choosers= lines,
setting them to the following values:

            Resources=/etc/X11/xdm/Xresources
            Chooser=/etc/X11/xdm/pretty-chooser

7) In /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.local, change all
occurances of "-query" to
"-indirect", such as:

                echo "/usr/X11R6/bin/${XBINARY}
${XOPTS} ${ACC_CTRL}
                         -indirect ${XDM_SERVER}"
>/tmp/start_ws

8) Fire up a terminal an see if it works ;-)