[K12OSN] OT but SME question

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Nov 2 15:45:19 UTC 2004

> Hello,  We have installed an SME-Server with the mail built
> in, but we can't
> get the darn dns working properly.  We can send mail locally,
> or out, but
> can't send from outside mail addresses to the SME domain
> addresses.  Does
> anyone use webmin for dns?   I'm using webmin for admining
> the dns box, and
> I think that this is what is wrong...

Not sure how your DNS is setup but you need to go to the registrar you
registered your domain with and be sure the nameservers point to
whatever machines are handling external DNS.  This can be the ISP's DNS
or an box you control.  You need to be sure the box controlling external
DNS has the external IP's assigned to it not the internal natted IP's.
Now I am not sure how SME handles this but in most cases you need to
either setup split DNS with BIND or have two separate name servers.  One
needs to feed the external addresses to the public and one the internal
addresses to local clients.  I am wondering with the problems you
describe if the reason outside addresses are unable to send to you is
because they are receiving an internal address from DNS.

Hope that helps

---