[K12OSN] 1.4 mbps on 100BaseT! (OT)

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Nov 2 15:58:08 UTC 2004

> No, You're not confused, I'm confused.  1.45 Mb per second
> was my math based on the 109 megs in 11 minutes.  (megabits,
> not megabytes, but isn't 1.45  Mbps waaaay less than even
> 10baseT)

Okay, I am a little more clear now.  I would say you definitely have a
problem.  I tested my setup here and from my server I download 110 megs
in about 15 seconds (just watching the second hand on my watch).  I
would definitely start with testing your wiring, do you have a cable
tester?  I would check for noise if you do as well.  A noisy environment
will quickly bring transfers to a halt.  I would test for opens, shorts,
length, 568-B, and noise.  As far as the ends being untwisted an extra
half inch don't sweat it.  I have seen far worse still transfer at
decent rates.

If you don't have the tools at least try to slowly work toward the
server and see if you speed increases.  Maybe even up to the point of
putting the server CAT5 and the workstation CAT5 into a local known good
switch and see if you speeds increase.  Then you can slowly connect
using the other 2 switches and cabling and hopefully see where things
slow down.  If things are slow right at the server and a local switch,
then look into server hardware starting with the NIC.  For testing use a
known good workstation if possible.

Good luck.  Don't forget the case of Mountain Dew.

---