[K12OSN] Wish list

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Nov 3 17:59:50 UTC 2004

This weekend I'm going to a LTSP developer's conference in Maine.
I have Friday -> Monday carved out for K12LTSP development.
While I have some dedicated time, what do you guys & gals
want me to work on?

I have two objectives:

1) Immediate needs. What changes do you want to see in K12LTSP 4.2.0?
   (keeping in mind I'd like to have this finished in the next two
    weeks ;-)
2) Start work on the next major version. What are the major issues
   issues/enhancements that you would like to see in the next 6-12
   months?

Since I will be traveling, I won't have the hardware necessary
to finish K12LTSP 3.2.0. It is perfectly fine to request this as
a priority, but it won't get done this weekend ;-)

To kick things off, here is the list of topics that have been
suggested for the LTSP developer's conference:

  * LDAP Authentication possibly w/Kerberos?
  * Local display manager
  * Local App Building/Packaging
  * Local app invocation
  * Local drive support (usb devices, floppy, cdrom)
  * Desktop shadowing (VNC, x11vnc, x110rbserver)
  * Security audit of the ltsp tree, file perms, ownership, tcpwrappers
  * Low bandwidth (NX, FreeNX)
  * Other non-x86 architectures for LTSP thin clients
    (PPC,Sparc,StrongArm)
  * Using SSH to tunnel the X traffic

-Eric