[K12OSN] Wish list

Samps samps at redjocks.com
Wed Nov 3 22:01:47 UTC 2004

Eric Harrison wrote:

>2) Start work on the next major version. What are the major issues
>   issues/enhancements that you would like to see in the next 6-12
>   months?

Yes, please, USB pendrive support, with automount and a popup window
showing contents of the drive (now, where have I seen that behaviour
before?)

Printers. If I, as root, install all our schools printers, then they're
immediately available for all clients to use. Great, but... we are
running an accounting system for printing (PAS, from Software Metrics),
and all printjobs from LTSP clients get billed to the administrator,
whose credentials were used to install the printer (or is it because
printing runs in a different context than that of 'user'?).
So, what I'd like to see is, either an easy (easy = double-click) way
for anyone to install a printer or some ugly hack to send the logged on
users credentials to the printserver (W2k SRV) for billing.

cheers
Samps

Grant High School, South Australia