[K12OSN] Wish list

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Nov 4 00:35:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 17:07 -0700, Pete wrote:
> Eric Harrison wrote:
>
> >This weekend I'm going to a LTSP developer's conference in Maine.
> >I have Friday -> Monday carved out for K12LTSP development.
> >While I have some dedicated time, what do you guys & gals
> >want me to work on?
> >

> If you wanna see how many people are on the list... just ask for a wish
> list :-)

;-)

> Clustering is one of my favorites although I think just like things like
> squid/dansguardian it shouldn't be something that the (K12)LTSP guru's
> work on.

Web filtering is something that many of us have to support, and like
LTSP
tends to not be included in the base distros. While a separate issue,
they
are complimentary in a way.

Clustering I agree is a different story. I've worked on OpenMosix
support
in the past, but the support aspect of it is much greater than the
benefits
of having it pre-packaged. Too little benefit for too much work to
justify
having it integrated into the base. On the other hand, there is the
coolness factor ;-)

> Those things exist and can be added to a LTSP env. manually...
> Menu editing (one and the same for KDE/Gnome/ICE/...) we should ask that
> one to the opendesktop guys shouldn't we?

Many of the things listed so far are up-stream projects. None of us will
be
working on them, but hopefully we can influence those who do. KDE/Gnome
menu-
editing is a perfect example, I've spent a fair amount of time hitting
various
Gnome/KDE developers over the head on this one. Integrated LDAP support
is another...

As I've been collecting these suggestions, I've been filing them into
three categories:

1) stuff I can do (K12LTSP-specific stuff)
2) stuff I can help with (core LTSP devel, etc)
3) stuff I can bug other people about

I'll post a thread-to-date summary in a little while.

> Pure (K12)LTSP functionality is what needs focus (I think)
> local usb (webcam keychain scanner printer) access
> multimedia on the client (without frying the server)
> wireless clients (maybe...)
> support for more types of disklessclients with odd (but popular) graphic
> cards etc.
> And a way to leave XSERVER=auto and still have every client using it's
> optimum resolution/color depth
> (without per client configurations in lts.conf)

Having LTSP auto-detect the optimal resolution/depth is an interesting
one.

-Eric