[K12OSN] Wish list summary verison 0.0.1

Rita Gibson rgibson57 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 4 13:19:52 UTC 2004

Martin Woolley wrote:

>On Thursday 04 Nov 2004 12:55 am, Eric Harrison wrote:
>

>>Here are the initial wish-list items. Keep'em coming!
>>

>One thing the teachers here would like is the ability to mirror one X session
>onto a selcted number of other X sessions.  Let me explain.  The teacher runs
>a thin client just as the classroom full of students do.  The teacher would
>like to bring up say a ooimpress presentation on their session and have it
>display on all of the students machines at the same time, so that the entrie
>class can view the presentation. Currently they are using projects for this
>but the teachers reckon they would get more attention if the lesson was
>presented directly on the kids vdus.
>
>If this could be made to work, which it probably could but I have no idea of
>how, then the reverse could be done, ie the teacher could monitor one or more
>vdus and take control of them if necessary

I can second this request! I am subbing this week in the technology lab
-- I really could have used something like this in the middle of a 24
student lab class! I realized many of the kids didn't know how to select
a section of a spreadsheet and turn it into a chart/graph. What a
nightmare to try to explain this, unable to "show" them how to do it --
magically if I could have launched the application and demonstrated on
their monitors..... Wow! (Of course we can't afford an overhead
projector in the lab. I've tried all week to find an optimal place to
put a projector and a workstation, if we had one (borrowed a portable),
and I decided you have to practically plan your lab around it.)

And then the itty bitty kids. How do you teach kindergarten kids how to
open openoffice and start a drawing without a visual? OMG!

I know I had some big kids playing some games they weren't supposed to,
dropping the apps down on the taskbar when I came around, however, I had
too much else going on to get through the class to really worry about it
until afterward. I don't know how teachers do this everyday!

Rita Gibson
Tech Support
RMSEL