[K12OSN] Why Linux?

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Thu Nov 4 22:11:24 UTC 2004

David Trask wrote:

>I'm perplexed....what the hell is a SCHOOL BOARD doing making IT
>infrastructure decisions?  My school board makes decisions regarding
>policy, curriculum issues (to some degree), budget, and some central
>office stuff like approving the warrant and hiring the

Oh, David.  How sheltered you are.  You are lucky that the school board
allows you to make such decisions.  I have not been allowed that
luxury.  Many school boards around here, especially in the smaller
schools, want their hand in everything.  A few years ago, a school board
member created his own technology committee because he was not happy
with what I was doing here.  School boards that set policy and then get
out of the way are not the norm.  (That is how it should be, but that is
not the way it is in most cases.)