[K12OSN] All The Right Type & Linux

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Nov 4 23:42:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 15:30 -0800, Jamie McParland wrote:
> I added the & to the rc.local script. But now I get an address in use error.
>
> err: Bind failed
> err: Now Shutting down due to an error
> err: System error: 98 - Address already in use
> ---: Flushing outstanding requests
> ---: Uninitializing sockets
> ---: Freeing indices
> ---: Releasing table data
> ---: Releasing Mutex
> ---: Shutdown complete
> bt!: LogUnInit: UnInitializing Logger
>
> Does anyone know how I can kill that? I know the program using that address
> is killed but it seems the socket is still open.

Did you run "ps auxw | grep name-of-executable" to make sure there is
not
a copy running in the background?

Worse case, you can run "lsof" (list open files) and look for the
offending
process.

> Also if I ssh into the machine and am NOT in the directory where the DB is
> and run
>
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>
> I get this error
>
> [root at tbserver /]# bt!: EndianInit: Architecture is little endian
> bt!: SockInit: FD_SETSIZE = 1024
> bt!: MiniDB v2.0.2
> err: Tables.txt file not found in / - no database to start
>
> But if I cd to the directory where the db is and run the /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> it finds the dbs. So I guess I need to figure out what I need to add the
> rc.local file to tell it the dbs are in /data/apps/all_the_right_type
>
> Jamie

Change your entry in /etc/rc.d/rc.local from:

  /data/apps/all_the_right_type_server/atrtserv.linux

to:

  pushd /data/apps/all_the_right_type_server/
  /data/apps/all_the_right_type_server/atrtserv.linux &
  popd

I think that will do the trick, based on the error that
it is looking for Tables.txt in /.

-Eric

"pushd" is like "cd", but it remembers what directory
you started from. When you want to go back, you just need
to do a "popd". It is a good habit to do this in startup
files and the like, since if something goes wrong you'll
always end up back where you started - even if the
command you run unexpectedly changes to a different
directory.