[K12OSN] Re: Performance issue and question - more information on server

Dean Weiten dmw at weiten.com
Sat Nov 6 04:52:54 UTC 2004

Folks have repeatedly asked how much RAM is in the server.  Sorry, but I
don't monitor the mailing list constantly...

We have two servers, identical hardware, sharing the outside backbone.  They
both have the same symptoms.

    RAM is 2 Gb

    HDD is Western Digital WD400JB-00FMA0 (according to dmesg)

>> One possible concern is that /home is mounted through NFS (100Base
switched on the outside backbone), although of course /root is always local,
and the problem occurs just as badly for root...

>> I used "top" to see if I am ever into swap, and I never am even close.  I
haven't tried running "top" while the program is launching to diagnose what
is happening, but I will do so when I get a chance.

>> Some time ago, I tried both non-SMP and SMP kernels, and decided they
made no difference I could see.  Right now it is 2.4.22-1.2199.nptlsmp,
which is SMP and therefore uses "hyperthreading".

>> I had a look at /tmp and saw lots of files in there.  It is a dangerous
game to delete them, but it's late at night on a Friday, so I held my nose
and deleted them.  I won't have a chance to try to see if it makes any
difference, but perhaps tomorrow when I am down at the school...

I am a volunteer, not an employee, so I work there when I get time and am
close by.  I'll check out some of the other ideas in the coming week.

Dean.