[K12OSN] Re: Performance issue and question - more information on server

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Nov 7 02:00:39 UTC 2004

Liam Marshall wrote:

> Dean Weiten wrote:
>
>> Folks have repeatedly asked how much RAM is in the server.  Sorry, but I
>> don't monitor the mailing list constantly...
>>
>> We have two servers, identical hardware, sharing the outside
>> backbone.  They
>> both have the same symptoms.
>>
>>    RAM is 2 Gb
>>
>>    HDD is Western Digital WD400JB-00FMA0 (according to dmesg)
>>

> one big problem could be the hard drive.  Even EIDE is going to be
> slower accessing files than scsi.  Any number of users over 5-10 and
> you will notice serious problems with performance.

My experience has been quite different.  Granted that SCSI is faster,
and true hardware-based SCSI RAID 5 is yet better, but my server runs
two EIDE disks and responds just fine for 25 users running OO.o,
Mozilla, and the GIMP.

I would still check out memory usage stats.  Program loads should be
very quick after the first time someone runs it, due to the cache.

--TP