[K12OSN] Re: Performance issue and question - more information on server

Liam Marshall lsrpm at mts.net
Mon Nov 8 00:35:10 UTC 2004

Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:

> Liam Marshall wrote:
>
>> Dean Weiten wrote:
>>
>>> Folks have repeatedly asked how much RAM is in the server.  Sorry,
>>> but I
>>> don't monitor the mailing list constantly...
>>>
>>> We have two servers, identical hardware, sharing the outside
>>> backbone.  They
>>> both have the same symptoms.
>>>
>>>    RAM is 2 Gb
>>>
>>>    HDD is Western Digital WD400JB-00FMA0 (according to dmesg)
>>>

>> one big problem could be the hard drive.  Even EIDE is going to be
>> slower accessing files than scsi.  Any number of users over 5-10 and
>> you will notice serious problems with performance.
>>

> My experience has been quite different.  Granted that SCSI is faster,
> and true hardware-based SCSI RAID 5 is yet better, but my server runs
> two EIDE disks and responds just fine for 25 users running OO.o,
> Mozilla, and the GIMP.
>
> snip

really?  I was told there was no way EIDE could handle a load of 25
users.  Are your two drives set with RAID 0?  what speed are the drives?

Next year, or as early as christmas, I am going to change drives.  If I
could get away with EIDE that would be fantastic!  Of course, first I
need to figure how to change drives but copy the old partitions onto them.