[K12OSN] Windows Terminal Server Question

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Nov 10 12:50:55 UTC 2004

Héctor Menjivar wrote:

>Hi:
>
>Can you help me to run windows 2003 terminal services on thin clients
>attached to a k12 ltsp
>
>Hector

!Hola, Héctor, y bienvenidos!

Sure; I do this all the time at work (job requirement, not personal
choice).  The "rdesktop" command is what you want.  Say I have a server
named "win2003box", with IP address 10.0.0.5, and domain name
"mydistrict.edu".  Here's what you'd do:

  microman at multimedia:~$ rdesktop win2003box.mydistrict.edu &

You don't need that "&" at the end, but it gives you your terminal
window back and keeps a somewhat cleaner desktop.  :-)

You can also do it by IP address, like so:

  microman at multimedia:~$ rdesktop 10.0.0.5 &

This works just fine, BTW, from the "Start" menu (the...well, "red hat"
icon at the bottom left for Red Hat / Fedora based distributions).  Then
you don't need the "&".

Now, here's how I *actually* do it, since I want to take advantage of
the new RDPv5 protocol's higher color resolution.  None of the extra
switches are required; I just like 'em:

  microman at multimedia:~$ rdesktop -g 1024x768 -a 16 -u microman
win2003box.mydistrict.edu

The "-g" means "geometry", or the "screen resolution" of your rdesktop
session.  Since I run 1280x1024 on GNU/Linux, it makes sense for me to
have a 1024x768 rdesktop session.  :-)  The default is 800x600.  The
"-a" means "color bit depth", in this case, 16-bit color, or 65,536
colors (default is 8-bit, or 256 colors).  The "-u" is your Windows
username.  If you don't specify "-u", then your GNU/Linux username will
be used by default.  Again, none of these extra switches are required.

--TP