[K12OSN] LTSP Home System

Jack jackpal at cfl.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 23:09:47 UTC 2004

This might sound strange but I am using k12ltsp as my home automation
system.  Currently I have my server(s) in a closet.  The ltsp server is
hooked into my stereo via the soundcard output.  I'd like to have and
icon on all the desktops that basically runs the home stereo via xmms.
When I run xmms from a terminal the individual terminal brings up xmms
and plays just fine from that location (say the garage).  I'd like to
have an icon that launches xmms on the server console via.

ssh server xmms

This should start xmms on the local display but play from the server
therby playing out the soundcard on the server and out the main home
stereo.  Currently I get this error when I try:

** CRITICAL **: Unable to open display

I realize that *all* the terminals are displaying from the server and
that ltsp performs its magic via X11 but hopefully somebody out there
gets my drift in what I am trying to do.

Currently in order to play out of the home stereo I have to physically
login to the server console and start xmms (like right now) and it
plays.

Thanks,
Jack
(running fc3 alpha!  works great too!)