[K12OSN] K12LTSP demo - any suggestions?

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Thu Nov 11 12:33:46 UTC 2004

The fact that this lab already had Linux in it once and the teacher responsible
for the lab wants Linux back, the biggest battle has already been fought and
won.  All you should need to do is show that it works.

How powerful are the workstations and how good is your server.  If you have a
server that is robust enough and the workstations are a little "weak", you may
consider leaving one computer running Windows and running a side-by-side
comparison.

Quoting Bill Bardon <bill at computassist.com>:

> I support a small high school with a 30-computer student lab. They ran
> SuSE Linux on the individual machines up until last summer, when the
> powers on high declared it would be switched to Windows. We converted
> all the machines to W2K over the summer (still running Samba on the
> Linux server for personal folders and network shares.)
>
> Today I had a conversation with the teacher responsible for the day-to-
> day lab operation, and she's had enough of Windows. After fighting
> with viruses, spyware, and crashing computers, she wants to go back to
> Linux!
>
> I'll be demoing K12LTSP this Friday, using my LTSP server which I'll
> bring on site, and a few of her lab computers booted from floppies.  Do
> any of you have recommendations for how I should approach the demo? Any
> experiences or wisdom to share?  Once the comps are booted over the
> network (which still has a small WOW factor for me, and I know how it
> works ;-) what then?
>
> Obviously I'll show her OpenOffice and Mozilla, maybe Scribus and some
> of the Kedu stuff. More than that, I want to emphasize how easy it will
> be to administer and maintain.  Since I do most things from a console,
> I'm wondering what GUI program folks use for user maintenance.
>
> Lots of questions, feel free to take a crack at any of 'em.  I'd love to
> see Linux back in this lab.
>

> --
> Bill Bardon
> COMPUTASSIST