[K12OSN] K12LTSP demo - any suggestions?

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Thu Nov 11 20:27:49 UTC 2004

Les makes a good point here.  I was at a conference yesterday and one of the
sessions was an hour long session showing people how to use the new MS program
to run automatic updates.  The session was long and the process was fairly
tedious - running a separate server to store the updates and then "touching" all
of the clients to tell them to get their updates from the new server and then
making sure that the updates get run.

In K12LTSP, ---->  yum update  (Doesn't take an hour to teach someone that.......)

One of the HUGE advantages of K12LTSP.

Quoting Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com>:

> On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 12:24, Bill Bardon wrote:
> > Wow, thanks to everyone for the great ideas!  This is very helpful.
>
> One thing that *should* matter to decision-makers is the difficulty
> of maintaining and updating the system.  I'm not quite sure how
> to get across the value of 'yum update' or expain what it does
> to someone who doesn't already know, but you should take a stab
> at it somehow.  Some of the objections to Linux would be justified
> if you used distributions that did not have a method built in to
> automatically pick up bug fixes and security updates and take care
> of the dependencies while installing them.  The k12ltsp system
> beats anything else you could use in terms of one-stop-shopping
> to update the OS and applications.  One command to do all the
> updates and you only have to do it on the server(s).  Compare that
> to the paperwork to maintain licenses and service contracts with
> every vendor of OS and apps on every box, and different methods
> needed to track bugs and update each of them.
>
> ---
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

Jim Hays