[K12OSN] Re: K12LTSP demo - any suggestions?

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Thu Nov 11 21:37:18 UTC 2004

Linux may be "more imune" but nothing is "totally imune".  There are security
wholes in Linux also.  (We won't get into the "big target" argument here.)

Updating gives you added features to programs like Open Office and not just
updates to the OS.

I don't run "yum update" as often as I update my Windows servers, but you should
update from time to time.

Quoting Joseph Bishay <joseph.bishay at utoronto.ca>:

> Hello,
>
> > Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:27:49 -0600
> > From: Jim Hays <haysja at sages.us>
> > Subject: Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP demo - any suggestions?
> >
> > Les makes a good point here.  I was at a conference yesterday and one
> > of the sessions was an hour long session showing people how to use the
> > new MS program to run automatic updates.  The session was long and the
> > process was fairly tedious - running a separate server to store the
> > updates and then "touching" all of the clients to tell them to get
> > their updates from the new server and then making sure that the
> > updates get run.
> >
> > In K12LTSP, ---->  yum update  (Doesn't take an hour to teach someone
> > that.......)
> >
> > One of the HUGE advantages of K12LTSP.
>
> This may be a silly question, but I've never used the update feature
> in K12LTSP.  I see I could use synaptic or yum update, but my
> question is: When would I do so? Is there a need to run yum
> update/synaptic?  If everything is running smoothly, what am I going
> to be upgrading? I realize that in MS updates are often to correct
> security issues, but I thought Linux was more immune to those sort of
> lapses. Why else would I want to run it?
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph

Jim Hays
Technology Director