[K12OSN] skolelinux

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Nov 12 05:46:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 22:52, Dennis Daniels wrote:

> The directories were mounted via nfs and setup in the exports file. When
> a user tried to access the home dir. via the xdmcp server1, for example,
> apps and files were not visible and much bugginess...server0 would crash
> complaining that X display 0 was already in use.
>
> server0 = server 192.168.0.254 with /home (student folders)
> server1 (192.168.0.253) = second LTSP with NFS set to mount
> 192.168.0.254 /home
>
> I'd appreciate any advice you might have on this problem.

How are you handling authentication?  The uid numbers for the
same user must match between the server where they log in and
NFS server.  If you aren't using NIS or LDAP you will have to
make sure the user entries are identical in the /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow files.

> Ideally, I'll get some cheapo PIIIs with lots of RAM and tell my users
> when they log in that they should aim their XMDCP chooser at any server
> with fewer than X users... maximizing cheap hardware via the xdmcp
> chooser while maintaining centralized user /home directories is the goal.

You'll probably need to get all the servers on a gigabit backbone to
make this scale very well.  Otherwise it would be better to use
a dual-nic configuration with a certain number of clients behind
each server to split up the bandwidth.  You'd still be able to
log in anywhere and find the same home directory.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com