[K12OSN] VNC &

John Hegarty jh at clongowes.net
Fri Nov 12 14:35:40 UTC 2004

I think the rate of development of Linux, LTSP and K12LTSP is simply
astounding. I started using it here on a trial basis 6 months ago and
liked what I saw so much that I persuaded the school to invest in a
server and some thin clients from diskless workstations as well as using
some of our old pcs as clients. I have long term plans to have about 70
thin clients over the next 2-3 years. Working with Linux has made
computers fun again for me (recovering windows administrator) - and the
students are getting into it too.

VNC Query
I have VNC installed on our windows pcs and they can access the server
easily that way. However it only seems to allow 3 or 4 connections at
any one time. It would be handy for me to be able to get 20-25
connections at the same time for use with a class which has winxp
computers only. I want to avoid dual boot and see vnc as a quick
solution to access from this room without any need to reconfigure the
clients. The server is a dual Xeon 2.8 with 2GB RAM and scsi hard disks
so I reckon it should be able for the load as the thin clients outside
of this room wouldn't be used at the same time.

jh