[K12OSN] VNC &

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Fri Nov 12 22:11:45 UTC 2004

jh at clongowes.net wrote:

> I think the rate of development of Linux, LTSP and K12LTSP is simply
> astounding. I started using it here on a trial basis 6 months ago and
> liked what I saw so much that I persuaded the school to invest in a
> server and some thin clients from diskless workstations as well as
> using some of our old pcs as clients. I have long term plans to have
> about 70 thin clients over the next 2-3 years. Working with Linux has
> made computers fun again for me (recovering windows administrator) -
> and the students are getting into it too.
>
> VNC Query
> I have VNC installed on our windows pcs and they can access the server
> easily that way. However it only seems to allow 3 or 4 connections at
> any one time. It would be handy for me to be able to get 20-25
> connections at the same time for use with a class which has winxp
> computers only. I want to avoid dual boot and see vnc as a quick
> solution to access from this room without any need to reconfigure the
> clients. The server is a dual Xeon 2.8 with 2GB RAM and scsi hard
> disks so I reckon it should be able for the load as the thin clients
> outside of this room wouldn't be used at the same time.
>
> jh

Hi,

Why don't you switch things around.... Use K12ltsp as your main server,
add a W2K or Server2003 server and make all your connections via thin
clients. From the thin client create an icon for rdesktop to the Windows
server and voila both systems accessed without dual boot or rebooting.

good luck
norbert