[K12OSN] Linux cut off

Jason tuxnician at execulink.com
Fri Nov 12 23:56:21 UTC 2004

Hi everyone.

Thanks very much for the support.  It's very comforting that I'm not
alone and that there is plenty of information to help convince the board
otherwise.

They have pretty much cut of teachers from being innovative.  I don't
think this will last long as things are in motion.   Interestingly
enough the trustee for the area has children that go to the school with
the LTSP.  He's going to check it out and talk to the teacher about how
it's going.

In Ontario the Ministry of Education has a website www.osapac.org that
shows a list of software that they have licensed for schools to use.
Some have limits as to take home etc.  I submitted Open Office last
year.  I'm going to submit open source software as it seems schools only
use it if the Ministry approves it (like our board with Star Office).

I'm on an education discussion news server and I'm bringing up Open
Source software and Linux and get some questions and comments.  It's
going to be an uphill battle but I welcome the challenge.  Just planting
the seeds and adding some water once in awhile.

The word that comes to mind when dealing with open source and Linux:
community.

Jason