[K12OSN] K12LTSP demo - any suggestions?

Bill Bardon bill at computassist.com
Mon Nov 15 04:47:09 UTC 2004

We had the demo Friday night.  One lesson learned - I assumed too much
about the teacher's present understanding of Linux and Open Source. She
had been using it previously in the lab, so I thought she already
understood Open Source concepts. Once I realized she needed more of a
foundation in this area, we made good progress.

She was amazed to learn that all this very good quality software was
truly libre/gratis, that Linux had improved so much in three years, that
there was so much software directly usable in a school teaching
environment.  She was overjoyed to hear that she would have just one
system to maintain, and that the students would once again have control
of their own environment, and ONLY their own.  (Windows 2000 with
roaming profiles on a Samba server had given us problems, so we
eventually turned off roaming profiles.)

So, the demo was a success! We got the OK to go ahead. Both the teacher
and I will be searching for a used dual Pentium/Xeon server to install
K12LTSP on, and hope to switch the lab over Christmas break. I will also
install a workstation version on a spare computer for her now, so that
she can learn the admin tools and eval various software packages for the
students' desktops.

My thanks to everyone on the list.

--
Bill Bardon