[K12OSN] Shared Folders

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Nov 15 20:29:19 UTC 2004

I think the default umask is set in /etc/bashrc with this code:

if [ "`id -gn`" = "`id -un`" -a `id -u` -gt 99 ]; then
         umask 002
else
         umask 022
fi

This, from my RH8 box, sets the umask to 002 for most users (it says "If your
user ID name and group name are the same and UID is greater than 99, make the
mask 002, as you're probably just a mortal user; otherwise, set the umask to
022), while root gets a mask of 022, which is a good thing. Just type 'umask' at
a prompt to see what your umask is set to.  My guess is you won't have to modify it.

Petre