[K12OSN] *INEXPENSIVE* mobo/cpu options?

Richard K. Ingalls ringalls at glenwood.k12.mo.us
Wed Nov 17 18:21:03 UTC 2004

Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:

> I've tried Dell Optiplex PII machines in the past, but mind you, they
> had SoundBlaster16 sound cards in them.  I know that all the other
> hardware works just fine; our Optiplexes use 3Com 3C905 network
> chipsets and ATI 3D Rage video chipsets in them--all stuff that's
> LTSP-friendly.
>
> --TP

yes.  i've purchased several Dell Optiplex GX1 and GX100 boxes in the
past that worked just fine and they even have PXE booting (the GX1's)!
i haven't been able to configure sound on these boxes yet, but haven't
spent much time on them.  i wish i could find some more of them...

> Steve Hargadon wrote:
>
>> Richard (et al.):
>>
>> I have come to LTSP with a background of selling used computers for 16
>> years.  Our primary line is the Dell Optiplex.  We like them since
>> they have lifetime tech support from Dell and are extremely
>> well-built, using the same components over long periods of time.
>>
>> Since I haven't yet tackled the sound issue, I'd be interested in
>> sending someone a test unit who is familiar with sound to see how the
>> Optiplexes do in that regard.  I'm personally working on an Optiplex
>> P1-166 as my workstation for my home-office, and I use an Optiplex
>> small form factor 866 when I go out and do demonstrations.
>>
>> Steve
>>

>> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:03:59 -0700, Ben Nickell
>> <twinprism at athena.physics.isu.edu> wrote:

>>> Has anyone tried these boxes with K12LTSP?  Do you know more details
>>> about the network, video, and sound?  The page doesn't mention specific
>>> chipset or drivers, so I may have to buy one to try it out.
>>>
>>> Ben

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
 for that which he cannot lose."
 -- Jim Elliott

RICHARD K. INGALLS
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District
West Plains, MO

email..ringalls (at) glenwood.k12.mo.us
web....http://glenwood.k12.mo.us
ph.....417.256.4849
fax....417.257.2567

"Miracles are a retelling in small letters
 of the very same story which is written across
 the whole world in letters too large
 for some of us to see."
 -- C. S. Lewis