[K12OSN] Backing up a server...best methods

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Fri Nov 19 00:00:05 UTC 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Backuppc generally doesn't require anything to be installed on
> the clients other than setting up ssh keys if you run over

I gave backuppc an honest shake -- and I could not figure out the config
files for setting up clients.  I can set up ssh pairs fine, but in the
documentation, which decribes a multitude of configurable variables, I
couldn't figure out how to simply do a tar backup of a remote /home
directory, even with the ssh pairs set up.

I'm not a genius, but I did work for a good 45 minutes trying to figure
out how to construct the client.pl file to get the right commands
working.  I finally gave up, and I'm running rsync commands in a cron
job again...

Are there example files anywhere other than the local /etc backup
example included?

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers