[K12OSN] Re: rdesktop | MS Licensing | Scaling 2003 terminal services.

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Nov 19 00:04:31 UTC 2004

John Baillie wrote:

>The original message was sent from other mail account. Sorry if it gets
>posted twice.
>
>John
>
>On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 09:47, John Baillie wrote:
>

>>Plans are moving along well for our pilot project for moving terminals
>>into the classrooms. I'm still sifting through the past posts on server
>>specs, scsi vs ata or sata, SW raid vs HW raid AMD vs Intel etc. Meeting
>>budget and trying to maintain scalability is a bit of a chore. We were
>>planning on purchasing two new servers one for the additional K12LTS and
>>another for the 2003 Terminal server but if we can use one of our
>>Proliant 6000's for Win 2003 I would have more breathing room for the
>>other server.
>>
>>At Riverside they are using a quad 500 to host win 2000 terminal
>>services. In a previous post Paul Nelson mentioned that their server can
>>handle about 20 connections.
>>
>>We have still have two of those Proliant 6000's that were donated last
>>summer (quad 500's and 2GB ram) collecting dust. We will only be
>>providing a few small apps via 2003 terminal server and I'm wondering
>>how well they would scale without running apps like MS Office and
>>FrontPage.
>>
>>If they don't scale well does MS licensing allow us to move the OS and
>>CALs to a new server?
>>
>>John

Hello John,

As long as you're not running MS Office and FrontPage, or any similar
bloatware, then, based on my experience with Windows 2000 and NT 4.0
TSE, you should be fine with 10-15 users.  Folks on this list have said
that Windows Server 2003 has a more efficient terminal server subsystem
than its predecessors (that wouldn't be saying much, believe me).
Therefore, I'd say that, as long as you kept the apps lightweight, I'd
guess that 20 is feasible.

Best way to find out:  give it a shot and see how it goes.

If the quad 500 doesn't cut the mustard, then yes, you can move the OS
and CALs to a new server, so long as they're wiped clean from the
original server.

--TP