[K12OSN] Backing up a server...best methods

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Nov 19 00:41:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 18:00, Shawn Powers wrote:

> I gave backuppc an honest shake -- and I could not figure out the config
> files for setting up clients.  I can set up ssh pairs fine, but in the
> documentation, which decribes a multitude of configurable variables, I
> couldn't figure out how to simply do a tar backup of a remote /home
> directory, even with the ssh pairs set up.

Agreed - there are a million options.  You only need to set a few.

> I'm not a genius, but I did work for a good 45 minutes trying to figure
> out how to construct the client.pl file to get the right commands
> working.  I finally gave up, and I'm running rsync commands in a cron
> job again...

Don't give up - just ask.  The backuppc mailling list is as good as
this one for getting help.  I'll answer on either one.

> Are there example files anywhere other than the local /etc backup
> example included?

The program will inherit all the settings from the master conf/config.pl
but you can override them for an individual client by creating a
directory with the host's name under the pc directory and adding
a config.pl file there containing the values that differ for that
particular host.  (Be sure to chown to the backuppc user).  I like
to use rsync over ssh, so mine look like this (change the
$Conf{RsyncShareName} value to the partitions that you want to do
as separate runs):
------
#
$Conf{XferMethod} = 'rsync';

$Conf{RsyncShareName} = ['/', '/boot', '/var', '/home','/share'];

$Conf{RsyncArgs} = [
            #
            # Do not edit these!
            #